This blog will discuss various topics in electrochemistry, thermodynamics, kinetics and mathematics. My aim is not to provide any kind of tutorial for people but maintain a blog where I can register my thoughts loud. Please note that I read quite a few books on the above mentioned subjects and will be discussing them freely here mentioning the references in abbreviation if need be. I will try to be consistent with the abbreviations and list them in a separate post.
Also this is an attempt to understand the above subjects in depth and in that effort I will quote passages, equations and derivations if need be from the standard texts or journal papers. This is purely for academic and personal purpose and hence I believe the big companies will not come behind me for copyright violation.
These articles are to be considered as my loud thinking and not some standard journal articles which will provide reliable academic information. They may contain errors which the readers are urged to correct through arguments if they have time. Also note that the error in these articles will be corrected retroactively if need be.
I am a researcher at the Materials Sciences and Engineering division of CSIRO, Sydney Australia. I develop models for electrochemical systems including but not limited to batteries, corrosion, fuel cells and semi-fuel cells. I am currently under the supervision of Dr. Ivan Cole (CSIRO) and Dr. Bosco Emmanuel (CECRI). A list of my papers and proceedings are given below
PAPERS ( Published / Accepted / Online ) :
- Sebastian Thomas, Ivan S. Cole, Nick Birbilis and Murali. S. Venkatraman, “Corrosion of zinc as a function of pH” – Corrosion – http://dx.doi.org/10.5006/1.3676630
- Murali S. Venkatraman, Ivan S. Cole and Bosco Emmanuel , “Model for Corrosion of Metals Covered with Thin Electrolyte Layers” – ECS Transactions – Montreal, QC, Canada” Volume 35, “Corrosion (General) – 219th ECS Meeting.
- Murali S. Venkatraman, Ivan S. Cole and Bosco Emmanuel , “Corrosion under a Porous Layer : A Porous Electrode Model and its Implications for Self-Repair” – Electrochimica Acta – 56 (24), pp. 8192-8203
- Murali S. Venkatraman, Ivan S. Cole and Bosco Emmanuel , “Model for Corrosion of Metals Covered with Thin Electrolyte Layers: Pseudo-Steady State Diffusion of Oxygen” – Electrochimica Acta – 56 (20), pp. 7171-7179
- Tony Miller, Murali S. Venkatraman* and Ivan S. Cole., “Oxygen diffusion in a droplet”– Accepted for Applied Mathematical Modelling
- Sebastian Thomas, Murali. S. Venkatraman, Ivan S. Cole and Nick Birbilis, Electrochemical Performance of Zinc in Acidic Chloride Solutions”, Accepted for “Corrosion and Materials”.
- Ivan S. Cole, Tim. H. Muster, Nasia Azmat, Murali S. Venkatraman*, Anthony Cook, “Multiscale modeling of the corrosion of metals under atmospheric corrosion” – Electrochimica Acta – 56 (4), 1856-1865 (2011)
- Murali S. Venkatraman, Ivan S. Cole and Bosco Emmanuel , “Progress Towards a Unified Model of Corrosion with Porous Oxides” – ECS Transactions, 28 (24) 145-156 (2010).
- Murali S. Venkatraman, Ivan S. Cole, Dayalan R. Gunasegaram and Bosco Emmanuel, “Modeling Corrosion of a Metal Under an Aerosol Droplet”– Materials Science Forum, 654-656, pp. 1650-1653, (2010)
- Ivan S. Cole, Murali S. Venkatraman*, Bosco Emmanuel and Nick Birbilis, “Multiscale Modelling of Atmospheric Corrosion . Linking an electrochemical model of porous oxides with a multi-scale microclimate model”, Proceedings of the Corrosion Conference of The National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE), March 14-18, 2010, San Antonio, Texas, USA
- Ivan S. Cole., Azmat N.S., Kanta A. and Murali S. Venkatraman, “What really controls the atmospheric corrosion of zinc? The effect of marine aerosols on the atmospheric corrosion of zinc”, International Materials Reviews, 54, No. 3, pp. 117-133 (2009)
- Murali S. Venkatraman, Sirivatch Shimpalee, Van Zee, J W., Moon S. I. and Extrand C. W., “Estimates of pressure gradients in small gas channels due to blockage by static liquid drops”, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 34, No. 13, pp.5522-5528 (2009)
- Murali S. Venkatraman and J. W. Van Zee., “Effect of a net on the limiting current distribution in a parallel plate electrochemical reactor: Part I. Individual effects” – Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 39, No .9, pp. 1425-1436 (2009)
- Murali S. Venkatraman and J. W. Van Zee., “Effect of a net on the limiting current distribution in a parallel plate electrochemical reactor: Part II. Combined effects” – Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 39, No. 9, pp. 1437-1442 (2009)
- Murali S. Venkatraman, Sirivatch Shimpalee. and J. W. Van Zee, “Effect of Net Geometry on the Nusselt Number Distribution for Channel Flow” – Numerical Heat Transfer :Part A: Applications, Vol. 55, No. 4., pp. 309-336 (2009).
- Murali S. Venkatraman, Sirivatch Shimpalee., and J. W. Van Zee, “Effect of Net Geometry on the Current and Potential Distributions in a Parallel Plate Channel when One Electrode is at Limiting Current”, ECS Transactions, 3 (42) 21-30 (2008)
- Murali S. Venkatraman and J. W. Van Zee, “A Model for the Silver-Zinc Battery During High Rates of Discharge”, – Journal of Power Sources, Volume 166, Issue 2, 15 April 2007, Pages 537-548
- Charles Feigley, N Schnaufer, Thanahi Do , E. Lee, Murali S. Venkatraman., Jamil Khan, and R Haggerty. “Estimating Emission Factors in a Capacitor Factory Using a Modified Two-Zone Model”, Paper #150. American Industrial Hygiene Conference. Chicago, IL (May 17, 2006)
PAPERS ( Under Review/Submitted):
- Murali S. Venkatraman, Ivan S. Cole and Bosco Emmanuel , “Model for Corrosion of Metals Covered with Thin Electrolyte Layers: Pseudo-Steady State Diffusion of Oxygen with Multiple Oxygen Reduction Pathways” – Under Review in Computers and Chemical Engineering
- Infant G. Bosco,, Murali S. Venkatraman*, Ivan S. Cole and Bosco Emmanuel , “Metallic Corrosion under a Thin Electrolyte Layer Controlled by Oxygen Diffusion: Depressed Nyquist Arcs without the Constant Phase Element” – Under Review in the Journal of the Electrochemical Society – Manuscript # : EAST11-0419
- Sebastian Thomas, Murali. S. Venkatraman, Nick Birbilis and Ivan S. Cole “Protecting Zinc Using Cerium Based Mixed Oxides” – Submitted to 18th International Corrosion Congress Proceedings, Perth, Australia, 2011
- I.S. Cole, Murali. S. Venkatraman, W.D. Ganther, P. Corrigan, N. Azmat, K.D. Ralston, D.A. Paterson, T. Muster, E. Schindelholz, B. Emmanuel “Advances in a multi-sclae model of corrosion” – Submitted to 18th International Corrosion Congress Proceedings, Perth, Australia, 2011
- Murali S. Venkatraman, Dayalan Gunasegeram, Ivan S. Cole and Bosco Emmanuel , “Modeling Corrosion of a Metal under an Aerosol Droplet -1 – Evolution of Anode-Cathode Separation” – Submitted to Electrochimica Acta
PAPERS ( Under Preparation):
- Sebastian Thomas, Murali S. Venkatraman, Ivan S. Cole and Nick Birbilis, “A Review on the Role of Oxides in the Protection of Metals to guide in developing Self-Repair Strategies to protect Zinc” – For Corrosion Science – Expected Submission date : 30th Dec 2011
- Dayalan Gunasegeram, Murali S. Venkatraman and Ivan S. Cole, “Some Considerations Pertaining to a Prospective Multiscale Model for the Design of Corrosion Resistant Systems” – For Corrosion Science – Expected Submission date : 30th Dec 2011